All about my inane ideas

Monday, June 1, 2009

I'm always amazed by people who come into my office, regardless of my office hours, see me working, sometimes with a student, maybe doing some analyses or having a discussion, and assume that that means I'm "free" to help them right then. They stand at the door and say "May I?" and I respond, "I'm working"* and then they proceed to come in and explain what it is that they need, which is invariably something that would take me cognitive effort and time, oh, and I should do it as a favour, to them personally, because while we have zero relationship otherwise they've heard I'm good at whatever it is they are asking me to do.

I'm just saying: If I don't know You, and You want me to do You a favour, shouldn't You take care to ask me for help at a moment when it wouldn't be perceived as dismissing as negligible what I actually *choose* to work on? Just a thought, Young Grasshoppers. Go forth and think before You act more, aight?

*because apparently it isn't evident enough by my hunched posture over the keyboard/notepapers (Hey People! I practise that posture, to the displeasure of my personal trainer, so it'll be REAL CLEAR that I'm WORKING!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers