All about my inane ideas

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dear Woman Whose Talk I Attended This Evening,

I didn't ask You that question at the end to be antagonistic. That is why I prefaced it with "I understand and support the point You are trying to make," and only then added "but I am not entirely comfortable with the argumentation You used." It seems to me that that should have been lead-in enough to spare me the righteous rant that followed. Truly, Ma'am, the reason I asked is that I actually *care* about this issue, and I fear that an intelligent but uninformed listener such as myself will be less persuaded if You use arguments that can easily be undermined by Your adversaries, who will, when they come, latch onto that point and derail Your message. The question was an opportunity for You to hone Your pitch, to take note of potential disruptions in the communication process. I wanted You to realize that imprecision in political debate is death. Too bad You didn't get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers