All about my inane ideas

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Man. Of the several term papers I have received from students this week:
  1. Three were very good.
  2. One was mediocre, but appropriate.
  3. One had no reference list at all.
  4. One had a reference list but no indication that most of the text was copied verbatim from the sources on that list.
  5. One listed 3 textbooks as references, despite instructions stating "Do not use textbooks as references."
  6. One had most of the references mostly right.
  7. One had more footnotes than references.

2 comments:

  1. 7. Having footnotes more than references: is that bad? I can imagine a situation where that is appropriate. Heck. I know of at least one prominent author who consistently has more of the footnotes than references...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scientific journals have somewhat different standards than literary publishing. Believe me, I love the footnotes of which You speak. In APA style, however, footnotes should be kept to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers