All about my inane ideas

Friday, March 11, 2011

Today I was talking to A about men in Warsaw. I was saying that they require a lot of work. Sometimes it seems that a fellow and I like each other, and it would be worth going somewhere with it, but it seems like they never do anything to make that happen. If we see each other again it's because I suggested it, or made it happen in some way. It's not that having a relationship here is impossible; it's that it requires a lot of unreciprocated extended effort (on the part of the woman, I think). This was my stance. Then A said, "Haven't You ever met someone and it is obvious that You click, and then he does something indirect (of course they never do suggest anything directly) to make it possible to meet again?" And to this I was forced to say, "No." It's like they (like A) are waiting for a bolt of lightening. It should be ORGANIC. You shouldn't have to PLAN interactions. It takes away the MAGIC.* Yadda yadda.**

Now, the first response I had to this situation was: since this happens to A, and not to me***, then it must be something about me--that is, apparently these men don't do anything to see me again not because they just don't do that sort of thing, as was my assumption, but because they lack motivation to see me, specifically.

My second response is that, wait. Most of my existing relationships in Poland function the same way! I do all the work! How many times do I suggest we meet, versus my friends suggesting we meet and organizing something? The odds must be somewhere near 15:1.

I'd list all of the factors that play into this phenomenon, and the conclusion of these thought-trains, but I'm already bored with this post. Oh well. I was asked to boost quantity recently. Quality needs suffer when mass production**** is introduced.


* I should say, this is the way it seemed to work when we were in our 20s. I'm not surprised people believe that it's possible. Well, OK, I am surprised. Life is a little more complicated now. That should pretty obviously be considered, no?

** bunch of hippies.

*** in Poland. Be it noted, this dynamic is entirely different in the US.

**** Ha. Ha ha. 1 post after 4 weeks == mass production? Ha ha!


4 comments:

  1. Hi r u sure u live in Poland and not Norway b/c that is my experience here lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I sort of wonder if it's a confluence of a) most people here having "stable home lives" and b) people in NYC being in general more dynamic, which leads to this surprising contrast effect for me. I don't doubt that Norway is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try black men and ALL your problems will be over :D

    My impression when I was in Poland was a bit similar to what you describe here. Coupling around me was mostly initiated (and maintained) by the ladies. The dudes seemed to go along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd try black men, but that would be a simple replication of this dynamic, no? I'm waiting for someone to want to try me. *niedoczekanie*

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers