All about my inane ideas

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I find it really hard to objectively assess how much of my reaction to a student's rude message is me power tripping versus me responding as a human who thinks there are social norms and rules to be followed. Like, for instance, You shouldn't just announce to me that You will come to a different section of my seminar. I think this should be phrased as a question. There is actually no problem with coming to a different section of the same course. We have enough chairs. It's not a logistical issue, and of course I'm going to acquiesce, if asked. So why do I want to be asked? Because I want my power to be acknowledged? That seems like a stupid reason.

Anyway, because this chick has already missed more classes than is allowed, I have to figure out an extra assignment for her. I'm going to make it a goddamn effortful one.

2 comments:

  1. By taking the time to write extra hard questions, you're really just punishing yourself for having failed to confront the student at the scene of the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, you're just giving a damn about the quality of education you're delivering.

    Tell her to invent an assignment and then complete it. Tell her she should spend 50% of the time learning what she needs to learn to create a good assignment and 50% of her time completing it. Tell her you will mark her on her effort and the extent to which the assignment (question and completion) indicate to you that she has covered the more advanced of the material she missed.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers