All about my inane ideas

Friday, August 30, 2013

I just re-read my post about Anna Karenina. So, yeah, the tragedy wasn't all that tragic. [UWAGA! SPOILERS AHEAD!] By the time AK got around to throwing herself under the train I was so tired of her neurosis and paranoid whining that I was basically glad to see her go. I was much more worried that my sentimental favourite, Levin, would be injured or tarnished. But he came out unscathed, unburdened even--of his doubts regarding the meaning of life. So, basically, this book ended well.

But I do think the last chapters were needlessly drawn out, could have easily wrapped that shit up in half the pages.

In other reading news, I'm almost at the end of Gone Girl, which I won't link to because really I don't want to endorse it too strongly. It is adeptly written, no doubt, but I had higher hopes of it after the first 100 pages than were warranted by the following 600 (really? this book has that many pages?? it reads very quickly). We'll see how I feel when I finish it (probably tonight! it is Friday after all!!).

I'm also reading The Jungle Book on my iPhone (thanks again, iTunes!) and I have been liking it, and I am more firmly than ever convinced that I should re-read Just So Stories so that I can incorporate some aspects of those into the stories I have to constantly tell my loveliest of nieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers