All about my inane ideas

Saturday, January 17, 2009

I really don't have the time to be writing this now. Gah. I have to walk Suzi before getting to the father's by about half an hour from now. Geez. Geez geez geez.

Anyway, here is something I have been thinking about.

The fundamental attribution error is one way in which we make inferences that are damaging to others. Another way we do this, I'm not sure if it has a name, has to do with underestimating others' opportunity costs. What I mean is this: when people get upset at me for, for example, not calling them often enough, they seem to think that I have two options: calling them and not calling them; and I am deciding between them. Of course, when the situation is thus presented, it does seem that "not calling" is the less friendly action and hurt feelings seem justified. What people *aren't* thinking is that I have a multitude of options: I can call them, that's one; plus many many others (that combine to "not calling") including "teach my class," "prepare my formularz oceny okresowej," "e-mail instructors about exam schedule," "write and copy quiz before class," "maintain sanity by not thinking for 5 minutes," "drive home," "go to Norwegian class," "pay bills," "sleep a few hours a day," "try to make internet work at home," "curse neostrada," "meet with new lecturer," "create schedule for upcoming semester for 4 years of students," "argue with students about absences," "drink more coffee," "curse," ... and maaanyyyyy mooooooorrrrreeee! Really, what people don't realize is that I'm doing them a favour by not calling them when I am mentally unfit to talk to people. Take it less personally, People!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers