All about my inane ideas

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reasons I don’t love my new laptop as much as I love my old laptop

1. backlit keyboard. hate this. have changed setting in preferences, now have to wait till dusk to see if it worked. but I think it did. thank god. why do people want this. TOUCH-TYPING PEOPLE. IT'S THE PRESENT. as in, not the future. acquire this ability NOW.

2. black non-matte surface surrounding screen. as well as the non-matte screen itself. this means that more of my reflection is seen when I am doing something at night. or anytime. like now (almost 9am!). So I'm constantly having to filter out my own reflection from what I am looking at on the screen. this is the reason I hate the backlit keyboard too. the (newly shiny) screen reflects it very very very well. and the black stuff surrounding the screen ALWAYS reflects because it's never producing any light of its own. GIVE ME BACK THE MATTE SURFACES OF YORE.

3. no button on trackpad. ugh. i keep unintentionally making things bigger because I have my thumb on the trackpad. You'd think I'd learn not to relax my thumb against the trackpad, but a) 5 years of ingrained thumb-placement is tough to unlearn b) why should I have to expend energy on having my thumb immobile just above the goddamned trackpad?

4. less resistance to closing. what is the point of this? so that it clunks shut more often when I shift it around? grrrrr.

5. the two (2! only! 2!) USB ports are so close to one another that it is in practice impossible to use two USB anythings that have slightly wider than the narrowest possible USB entries. this is also just really really stupid. I imagine that they did this for how it looks, but seriously, it would have been so much practicaller to place them even a touch further apart.

So yeah. I wish I had taken more note of point #2 before I bought this computer. It might have prompted me to buy a used older model that doesn't have this shiny reflective shit going on. The rest of it I will adapt to with time. But #2 I think is just terrible design. #5 is too, but I will probably adapt to it by buying a USB fork thingy. hub. ggrrrrrrrrr.

1 comment:

  1. Ah shit I really fear the shiny screen thing and this just confirms it.

    #3 is surely something you can configure. But I'll tell you more when I, if all goes well, *pick up my new laptop tomorrow*.

    Did I mention my laptop has arrived and I will, with any luck, *pick it up tomorrow*? Yes.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers