All about my inane ideas

Monday, November 30, 2009

As if I needed more indication that I am surrounded by amateurs. This morning I received 2 CVs over email from people who are computer scientists and seemed to be looking for work. I am not looking for a computer scientist, so I wrote to the lovely MC asking her if she knows why this would be happening, if perhaps we had advertised our need for a web re-design and these people were deluded, or what. She said "no, I haven't heard about any searches for new IT guys for the department, but maybe these people are reading Your mind heh heh!" Clever, that MC chick. So anyway, I forget about it, and then this evening I get another CV plus a letter. So I read it. And I find out that the Main Office of UW is looking for a computer systems administrator. Which is fantastic. So I do a search on the UW website and there is, indeed, an ad for a computer systems administrator. But no email address is indicated, only a snailmail address for candidates. So I go to the most popular daily newspaper website and do a search for "computer systems administrator". The first ad that appears is the ad from UW, which very clearly states that CVs should be sent to the Main Office of the University. And just below that ad is my email address.

4 comments:

  1. You do complain a lot about other people's incompetence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. It's a sweet little DM called "projection".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow-up: the online ad was headed by Psych Dept letterhead. When the lovely MC called the Uni Main Office or wherever to ask them to contact the newspaper to change it, they did and it did: to English Psych Dept letterhead. My email address remained. Only after a second round of frustration and eyerolling (to which I was not privy, it taking place largely in the main Uni offices) was my address successfully removed and the UW logo attached to the online ad. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of Other People's Incompetence, I finally confronted the mailman today about how Krzysztof is my first name and thus not everybody named Krzysztof is my relative and should thus have his mail filed in my mailbox. I was all set to bite his head off but he seemed like a nice guy so I let him live.

    He'll probably get it wrong again, then I'll bite his head off.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers