All about my inane ideas

Thursday, June 11, 2009

As You know, I'm not one to make friends so much. I tend to avoid interactions with new people, say in my Norwegian class or at hiphop or whatever. I quite civilly respond to outreach, but I'm not interested in forming new connections and I'm very effective at maintaining distance. And I seldom, given my lifestyle, am forced into interactions with anyone with any regularity. I have an erratic schedule of contacts*.

So it's been a while since I've gone through the process of getting to know someone. I guess most recently would be the people who used to share a room with me at work with whom I went through this process about 4 years ago, and even that was a sort of unregulated gradual thing wherein I resisted and never did anything active to form these connections; but once they were formed, from casual but regular interactions, then I started the work of relationship maintenance--which is actually something I do quite well. So now, despite the current lack of daily interactions these are connections I'm sure of.

(IMPLICIT MESSAGE: I'm a lot of work at first, but once I commit I'm committed. As K has said before, and not only to himself, maybe this isn't such a good system.)

So, anyway, meeting with the PT twice a week is a rare case. It turns out to be quite strangely intimate.

* this, by the way, totally sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah well IANAP but I guess different people have different priorities and whatever behaviour they engage in, as weird as it may seem, tends to be rational given those priorities. (Consistent failure of this mechanism is to me the clearest definition of mental illness, and it surprises me that none of the online definitions agree -- or, for that matter, strike me as more useful alternatives.)

    Re: PT: "Bad news: I don't trust you. Good news: let's get it on!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should really re-phrase this post to reflect not that I am uninterested in forming new connections but that new connections exhaust me. I wonder if that would somehow be a better take-home message.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers