All about my inane ideas

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

What I found amusing about this novel is that in all its vision about how different things would be in the future (some of which, NB, I perceive as coming true), there were some things that were so clearly and completely NORMAL that their change could not even be envisioned. One example is the idea of marriage, which is very much still at 1950s model of marriage (he works, she is at home, she has his last name, there are no gay couples...). My favourite example of this, though, comes near the end of the book when Montag meets with the other bookmen, and they talk about how the knowledge they have in their heads, books memorized verbatim, will be passed on to and through their children. The hilarious thing, of course, is that all these solitary heroes, these survivors, this last hope of humankind, are men. One wonders where they presume to acquire these humanity-salvaging children.

Also, this is not rich writing.

1 comment:

  1. She is at home? Really? I can't think of a single married couple I know where she is at home. Then again, I live in Scandinavia. And yet: even here, when I went shopping for bedclothes, and I happened to go with a girl, the sales staff were all WTF Why is the guy asking all the detailed threadcount questions here and not the chick.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers